The Construction Leadership Council (CLC) has a campaign ConstructZero to showcase actions being taken across the wider construction industry on decarbonisation in response to the climate emergency, as well as to act as a catalyst for greater action by the sector. Part of this campaign is to identify “business champions” from across the industry. If you would like to have the chance to be considered as a business champion then please respond to the questions and send your submission to Stuart.Young@beis.gov.uk
Business champions will be chosen on a monthly basis, so have your bids in by 15th of each month.
Business Champions – launch interviews
The following questions have been developed as a structured interview to capture the approach and commitment of businesses across the sector to achieving Net Zero by 2050 in line with the COnstructZero priorities.
The interview can be captured in writing or filmed and shared with Stuart Young (Stuart.Young@beis.gov.uk) by the 15th of each mon, starting in April.
Interviewees are encouraged to provide photos and diagrams to illustrate their story, but also to keep to a concise response to the questions.
The interview and company logo will be featured on the CLC website and as part of your ongoing role as a business champion you will be invited to speak and share your story with your peers and Government stakeholders.
Feature interview questions
Questions to the business leader:
- Why is making progress on Net Zero important to your business?
- Which of the 9 priorities are more relevant to your business and clients and why?
- What are doing to make progress against the relevant priorities (of the 9) in the short and long-term? (Could include targets or milestones)
- How have you helped your supply chain understand what is required against the 9 priorities?
- As a business leader what do you think the biggest challenge is and how are you working to overcome it?
- In your view what is the one innovation or change that is going to have the biggest impact on carbon or progress in our industry?
Questions to the emerging leader:
- What do your peers and wider employees within your company think about the businesses’ approach to Net Zero?
- How are the younger generation within your business engaged in this?
- What more do you think your business could be doing against the 9 priorities?
- A Youth Voice COP climate is being organised in Milan to bring together young people globally- what would be your key issue to raise?
- what do you do in your daily life/job that makes a difference?
Construct Zero Priorities
- Accelerating the shift of the construction workforce to zero emission vehicles and onsite plant
- Maximising use of Modern Methods of Construction and improved onsite logistics, reducing waste and transport to sites
- Championing developments and infrastructure investments that both enable connectivity with low carbon modes of transport and design to incorporate readiness for zero emission vehicles
- Work with Government to deliver retrofitting to improve energy efficiency of the existing housing stock
- Scale up industry capability to deliver low carbon heat solutions in buildings, supporting heat pump deployment, trials of hydrogen heating systems and heat networks
- Enhancing the energy performance of new and existing buildings through higher operational energy efficiency standards and better building energy performance monitoring
- Implementing carbon measurement, to support our construction projects in making quantifiable decisions to remove carbon
- Become world leaders in designing out carbon, developing the capability of our designers and construction professionals to develop designs in line with circular economy - reducing embedded and operational carbon, shifting commercial models to incentivise and reward measurable carbon reductions.
- Support development of innovative low carbon materials (prioritising concrete and steel), as well as advancing low carbon solutions for manufacturing production processes and distribution