Since the publication of the Independent Review of Building Regulations and Fire Safety by Dame Judith Hackitt following the Grenfell Tower fire, the UK construction industry and fire sector have been working hard to meet the various challenges set for it.
The Construction Products Association has been involved with several critical elements of this activity, and amongst these has established a “Marketing Integrity Group” to specifically address Chapter 7 of the report, which challenges how product information is made available to the wider supply chain. The Group is led by Adam Turk (Managing Director, Commercial, for Baxi Heating) with a core team of 20 marketing, communications and technical professionals from across the supply chain.
In order to inform its work further, the CPA’s Marketing Integrity Group has issued a Call For Evidence seeking responses from across the supply chain, including architects, designers, specifiers, consultants, manufacturers, contractors, builders, merchants, maintainers, and indeed anyone who uses product information through the life of the asset. Amongst the areas of interest covered by the survey are:
- Ease of finding information
- Product substitution
- Completeness and correctness of information
- Products as part of a system, or use in a variety of applications
To complete the Call For Evidence survey, please click here. The survey will remain open until Friday, 05 April.
The CPA’s Marketing Integrity Group intends to publish its findings and recommendations in the autumn.
CPA Deputy Chief Executive and Policy Director, Peter Caplehorn, commented: “The evidence base we are seeking will be a vital contribution to our work on reform post-Grenfell Tower fire. The survey results will help us make recommendations to ensure that consistent, unambiguous and clear product information on construction materials is made available to the wider supply chain. We need no reminder of how important this information is and I encourage as many responses to the survey as possible.”
NOTE TO EDITORS:
- The Construction Products Association represents the UK’s manufacturers and distributors of construction products and materials. Nearly 80% of all the products used in the UK are made in the UK. The sector directly provides jobs for 337,000 people across 24,000 companies and has an annual turnover of more than £60 billion. The CPA is the leading voice to promote and campaign for this vital UK industry.
- The CPA is one of the three major industry bodies (along with Build UK and the Construction Industry Council) in the Industry Response Group (IRG), chaired by the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government, that was formed in response to the Grenfell Tower Fire.
The CPA was involved in the findings of the Dame Judith Hackitt’s Independent Review of Building Regulations and Fire Safety, with Peter Caplehorn (CPA Deputy Chief Executive & Policy Director) chairing Working Group 3: Regulations and Guidance and contributing to Working Sub-Group 1&2: Golden Thread and Working Group 6: Quality Assurance and Products.
Peter Caplehorn is Deputy Chair on the IRG Steering Group on Competences for Building a Safer Future, and chairs Working Group 12: Products that aims to raise the bar of competence of all those choosing, deploying and maintaining products.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Matt McKeown, CPA Communications Executive
Tel: 020 7323 3770