Construction Leadership Council Activity
The Construction Leadership Council has been leading the construction industry's response to Covid-19. Initiatives include:
- The CLC has now drafted a Roadmap to Recovery for the whole industry in England, with three phases to the plan, to be delivered over two years. These will include recommendations to be put forward to government.
- Construction Talent Retention Scheme: Announced by the Chancellor in today’s statement, the scheme is run by the Construction Leadership Council (CLC) which is made up of trade and business associations from across the supply chain, including the CPA. The online portal will support the redeployment of staff at risk of redundancy from across the sector, while also enabling temporary employee loans between businesses. It also gives displaced workers from other sectors a route to find new employment in construction, while offering businesses a platform to find the skills they need. Businesses and employers interested in finding out more are encouraged to register their interest at: www.trs-system.co.uk/construction
- To implement the Government’s social distancing recommendation the Construction Leadership Council has now published version 5 of its Site Operating Procedures (SOP), incorporating the latest government guidance.
- A Statement on Payment and Contracts in the supply chain, and the risk that clients and firms will seek to invoke contractual clauses to the detriment of other firms. The CLC is clear that all construction businesses should continue to pay in accordance with agreed contractual terms.
- This Letter of Authorisation template can be used by construction product manufacturers and suppliers to provide the evidence that they require to be able to continue their essential work. Workers and those making deliveries to site in the manufacturing and supply of construction products, who can follow the Guidance on Social Distancing from Public Health England at work or who are considered critical workers can use this. Company's are encouraged to include their logo on the letter template.
- Double-check the CLC website for updates.
Construction Industry Coronavirus Briefings
The CPA was one of several construction trade bodies contributing towards a daily construction COVID-19 industry briefing throughout lockdown, produced in collaboration between the Association for Consultancy & Engineering, Build UK, Chartered Institute of Building, CITB, Civil Engineering Contractors Association, Federation of Master Builders, and Institution of Civil Engineers. Read the Briefing - 29 April
Previous Briefings: 28 April / 24 April / 23 April / 21 April / 17 April / 16 April / 15 April / 9 April / 8 April / 7 April / 6 April / 3 April / 2 April / 1 April / 31 March / 30 March / 27 March / 26 March / 25 March / 24 March / 23 March / 20 March / 19 March
Support the fight against Coronavirus
The UK Government has asked industry to offer support to those fighting coronavirus. If your business can offer any support in any of the following areas:
- protective equipment for healthcare workers, such as masks, gowns and sanitiser
- hotel rooms
- transport and logistics, for moving goods or people
- manufacturing equipment
- warehouse or office space, for medical use or storage
- expert advice or consultancy on IT, manufacturing, construction, project management, procurement or engineering
- social care or childcare
- community support
Please use this link to offer your help.
Companies from across the UK construction sector are being asked to showcase how they have played their part in the fight against Covid-19. A new website has been launched www.constructioncovid19response.co.uk which includes case studies around four themes: Building NHS Capacity, Donating PPE, Safeguarding Workers & Helping Communities. Find out more. If you would like to submit a case study, please contact Matt McKeown.
Additional Industry Resources
- The CPA is a member of the Confederation of British Industry (CBI), the largest trade body in the country, which has extensive resources freely available on its Coronavirus Hub, including advice on Government guidance and issues such as furloughs and job retention schemes.
- The CPA works very closely with Make UK, the umbrella trade body representing all UK manufacturing. We can recommend the Make UK Covid-19 webpages for their insight with manufacturing in mind.
- Mineral Products Association (MPA) has launched its Covid-19 Operational Guidance document, together with a series of posters to assist members to get their locations COVID secure. It complements the MPA Managers and Employees pocket guides.
- BSI has published UK Safe Working Guidelines to help businesses manage a safe return to work and reoccupation of their facilities. The guidelines are intended to become a consensus of good practice and BSI encourages the business community and members of the public to have their say and share their learnings and insight on safe working to help protect public health.
European Construction Sector Declaration
The European construction sector calls for urgent measures to protect workers’ health, support economic activity and accelerate the recover. Read the full declaration.