The CPA is monitoring the impact of COVID-19 for its members and the wider construction industry closely. We are working closely with other construction trade bodies and our membership to formulate appropriate responses and developing policy positions aimed at protecting the industry. This page provides the most up to date information, advice and resources relevant to our members.
The latest developments include:
- The Construction Leadership Council (CLC) has published a Cost Assessment Toolkit to help the industry assess and forecast the cost implications of disruption due to coronavirus, in order to make more informed investment decisions.
- As part to the Government’s new Brexit campaign, ‘The UK’s new start: let’s get going’, businesses and individuals can begin to prepare for the end of the transition period and the new rules coming in from 1 January 2021. Businesses can sign up for regular updates from the government here. Further details of changes that will come into effect after the transition period, include: new border controls for imports and exports; new rules for the movement of timber and wood packaging material; and a new points-based immigration system.
- The Chancellor delivered the Summer Statement 2020, ‘A Plan for Jobs’. Included in the announcements were a Job Retention Bonus, a £2 billion Green Homes Grant and a Stamp Duty Holiday. The CPA’s Economics teams has highlighted the announcements relevant to construction and manufacturing in a Weekly Notes Special.
- The Construction Leadership Council COVID-19 Task Force has published guidance to assist companies in preparing to access surety. This guidance aims to provide practical advice and considerations for discussions with brokers and providers when seeking bonds.
- The Prime Minister has announced a “New Deal” which delivers jobs, skills and infrastructure for Britain. At the centre of the government’s economic growth strategy is a commitment to 'Build Build Build'. Included in this announcement are reforms to the planning system, making it easier for commercial property to be converted inot residential housing. The Chancellor, Rishi Sunak, will also chair a new taskforce known as Project Speed which will be responsible for investment in infrastructure. Find out more.
- In light of the government’s announcement on the easing of lockdown from July 4, the Construction Leadership Council (CLC) has updated its Site Operating Procedures - Version 5.
- The government has opened the new flexible furlough scheme, which enables businesses to bring furloughed employees back to work on a part-time basis. Find out more.
- Three new guidance documents have been published by the Construction Leadership Council (CLC) documents to help companies manage the impact of COVID‐19 within their contracts: a Summary Guide on managing contractual disputes and collaboration; Future Proofing Guidance on JCT/NEC Contract Amendments; and Record Keeping Guidance.
- CRASH Charity Hope and Dignity Appeal: The construction industry charity CRASH needs your support to continue their vital work during the pandemic, creating places that care for the sick, vulnerable and homeless in the communities where we work and live. Please dig deep and join their #HopeAndDignity appeal. The CPA is a proud supporter of CRASH and encourages members to support where they can. Find out more.
- Construction Talent Retention Scheme: the scheme, which is run by the Construction Leadership Council (CLC) supports the redeployment of workers at risk of redundancy from Covid-19. The portal has now launched with a growing pool of candidates and we encourage CPA members to engage. Find out more.
- New guidance for businesses and organisations on how to recognise, contain and report incidents of coronavirus has been published. Action cards have been developed to cover a range of businesses and organisations to provide specific advice on the issues each type of organisation may face now lockdown restrictions have been eased. The cards are designed to be printed or downloaded to keep on hand in your business or organisation. Find out more.
- Guidance on the Use of Facemasks: The Construction Leadership Council (CLC) has issued guidance to help provide a consistent approach to the use of face masks across the industry. In The Use of Face Coverings in Construction during Coronavirus (COVID-19), it is proposed that employers make available face coverings as a minimum where workers are not required to wear RPE for their specific task and their workplace meets all of the following criteria:
an enclosed space;
- where social distancing isn't always possible; and
- where they come into contact with others they do not normally meet.
We will continue to provide the latest and most pertinent updates and guidance on COVID-19 via this website and our weekly notes. Explore the tabs to find relevant resources, including the latest economic analysis on the impact of COVID-19, Government support and guidance and industry responses to the crisis.